What a stunning show down for the PWA titles 2018 at the MERCEDES-BENZ SYLT PWA World Cup 2018 from our Duotone team riders. It had to come down to the very last heat of the last event to crown the 2018 PWA world champion both in the waves and freestyle discipline.
The season started with high expectations and even higher motivation for our Top wave riders Victor Fernandez Lopez E42 and Adam Lewis K516. The first event in Pozo was dream and disaster at the same time: Adam and Gollito with good positions, the kids are busy collecting their trophies and Victor on the other hand got under pressure by “only” finishing on a 4th place. At the second event in Tenerife he then removed all doubt, winning the event. With a fantastic third place, Adam stepped on the podium for the first time in his career. With Victor having a 4th + 1st and Köster 1st and 5th, the event in Sylt seemed to be the battle of the giants. But the shorebreak had other plans, knocking both out earlier than expected and opening the chances for Campello. Victor fought back to a third place and had to pray for the man who had stopped him earlier: Traversa, to win over Campello. What a thriller! Victor Fernandez overcomes the emotional rollercoaster and takes his 3rd Wave World Title by finishing 3rd in Sylt. Adam Lewis finished his season on a great 6th place overall. Very worth to mention that Adam scored 3 of the 5 highest scoring heats of the PWA wave season 2018.
With only two events this year, there was no place to make mistakes. Our Duotone freestylers Gollito Estredo and Adrien Bosson did not make a single one, winning each and every heat against other sailors in all four eliminations in two events. There was only one moment when Adrien managed to challenge Gollito. Adrien won the single elimination in Sylt, by defeating the king of freestyle in the final. But the competition machine Gollito Estredo works well under pressure: he won against Vrieswijk and took home his 9th freestyle world title after 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016 and 2017. He’s still hungry. This is an incredible result and the perfect proof for the IdolLtd to able to serve the worlds best freestylers as their ultimate freestyle weapon.
Pierre Mortefon F14 overcomes "number 3 syndrome", takes the last event title and finishes 3rd overall. He proved that he owns his place in the TOP 3 for a reason. The counting results of 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd and 1st throughout the season demonstrate his great constant slalom skills. That 3rd place never has been in danger, the gap to 2nd was only 100 points! By discarding his 9th place on Sylt, always-smiling-Jordy Vonk boosts himself onto a sick 4th place in the PWA slalom overall ranking.
Overall Ranking Wave 2018:
1. Victor Fernandez (Duotone, Fanatic, Shamal Sunglasses)
2. Ricardo Campello (Point-7, Aeron)
3. Philipp Köster (Starboard, Severne Sails, Maui Ultra Fins)
4. Jaeger Stone (Starboard, Severne Sails, SWOX, Shamal Sunglasses)
5. Marcilio Browne (Goya Windsurfing)
6. Adam Lewis (Fanatic, Duotone, Swox)
Overall Ranking Freestyle 2018:
1. Jose Gollito Estredo (Fanatic, Duotone)
2. Adrien Bosson (Duotone, Fanatic, Maui Ultra Fins)
3. Amado Vrieswijk (JP, Severne Sails)
4. Jentel Caers (JP, Point 7)
5. Steven van Broekhoeven (GUNSAILS, JP, Shamal Sunglasses)
Overall Ranking Slalom 2018:
1. Antoine Albeau (RRD, NeilPryde)
2. Matteo Iachino (Starboard, Severne Sails)
3. Pierre Mortefon (Fanatic, Duotone, Chopper Fins)
4. Jordy Vonk (Fanatic, Duotone)
5. Julien Quentel (Patrik, Avanti Sails)
More info: https://www.pwaworldtour.com/